Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. (FORMS 10g)
inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. [message #469632] Thu, 05 August 2010 06:15 Go to next message
ahazin
Hi guys, I have created a datablock and set up the user interface to allow the users to insert all the data they need, however my table has some fields which should be generated automatically and are not done through user input:

id - which is uniqe to each entry to the table so is gernerate by a sequence (which I created on the database) but when i put seq.nextval into the initial value on the datablock it says i cannot do this, so how do I use the sequence to insert the value into that field in the database. This is my primary key in my database whichobviosuly my users cant input data to, instead it is generated automatically.

User - similarly in the datablock is a user field which states the user that inserted that record, I know on the database i can put DEFAULT user for that field , but how do I make the user insert automatically through forms.

Date - Similarly again how do I set SYSDATE to be automatically input to the date field when the user submits the record?

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Re: inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. [message #469636 is a reply to message #469632] Thu, 05 August 2010 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Assign all the items in the pre-insert trigger.
Re: inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. [message #469652 is a reply to message #469632] Thu, 05 August 2010 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahazin
I dont have a pre insert trigger (probably because there isnt a text box visible on the screen to the users) but i do have a pre-text-item trigger?

I have the sequence stored on the database, so in forms am i still able to type NAM_SEQ.nextval in the appropriate trigger?

Also since the pre insert trigger isnt there where should i put the code.

Thanks for your help so far, greatly appreciated.
Re: inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. [message #469660 is a reply to message #469652] Thu, 05 August 2010 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Huh?
Create a pre-insert trigger and add the code.
The fact that you don't have one doesn't mean you can't add one.
Re: inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. [message #469675 is a reply to message #469632] Thu, 05 August 2010 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahazin
I done what you suggested and get this error now for some reason, have i left something important out?

ORA-00036: maximum number of recursive SQL levels (50) exceeded
ORA-06512: at "STU_TRIGGER", line 3
ORA-04088: error during execution of trigger STU_TRIGGER
ORA-06512: at "TASK_SETUP", line 3

The code in my trigger is:

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER STU_TRIGGER
BEFORE INSERT ON ZZTEST FOR EACH ROW

BEGIN

INSERT INTO ZZTEST (ID, DATE_CREATED, USER_CREATED)
VALUES (MY_SEQ.nextval, SYSDATE, USER);

END;

Again thank you for your input so far.
Re: inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. [message #469677 is a reply to message #469675] Thu, 05 August 2010 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Pre-insert is a form trigger (block level).
You create it in the form.
I said nothing about creating db triggers.

The error should be obvious, you've got a trigger that runs for every insert on that table in the DB.
It inserts into the same table.
Which fires the trigger again.
Which inserts into the same table.
Which fires the trigger again.

repeat until oracle realises you've done something stupid and errors out.

I think you need to spend some time reading the form builder documentation.
And the DB developer documentation since you don't understand how DB triggers work either.
Re: inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. [message #469684 is a reply to message #469677] Thu, 05 August 2010 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahazin
sorry, i wasnt aware the pre insert was on the block level, i found that trigger now. I just input:

INSERT INTO ZZTEST (ID, DATE_CREATED, USER_CREATED)
VALUES (MY_SEQ.nextval, SYSDATE, USER);

into that trigger. It still says however that cannot insert null value into ID, is this due to the fact that i created the sequence on the database and im putting the above code into forms or does it not matter that the sequence is stored on the db? maybe im just doing something else stupid.

I know i should possibly read more but i seem to learn more from pradtical experiance and so far this has been the only thing causing me bother, granted I know its something simple but i just cant seem to get it to work.
Re: inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. [message #469687 is a reply to message #469684] Thu, 05 August 2010 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Pre-insert doesn't fire instead of the default forms insert. It fires before it.
So coding the insert in there is a waste of time.
Use the trigger to assign the values to the datablock items.

The way you've coded it your insert will insert a record with values for those three columns but none of the values entered by the user.
Then forms default insert functionality will insert a row with the values specified by the user but null for the three columns you want to set - hence the error.

Re: inserting ID, SYSDATE and USER automatically. [message #469696 is a reply to message #469687] Thu, 05 August 2010 09:22 Go to previous message
ahazin
Thank you for your help, I know its a bit frustrating helping people such as myself who really dont know that much, but i got it working in the end thanks to you.

Smile
Previous Topic: Check Date Correct
Next Topic: how to do this in oracle forms 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:00:42 CDT 2024