Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » RECORD_GROUP (oracle 10g forms)
RECORD_GROUP [message #473821] Tue, 31 August 2010 20:58 Go to next message
pverma
Hi

I am new to Oracle form. I need your help in understanding the concept of record_group in forms.

I have one LOV ,which i understand created based on Record_group SQL query.
Now In that LOV i have three columns, like deptno,ename,job

Now i would like to delete some names from that LOV and then insert new names in that list.
I don't want to delete that names from base table.

I was trying to get the value of record_group
using get_group_row_count , but some reason i am not able to solve this.

please provide me some information so that i can start working on this.

i do undeerstand that record group is like a table having data in row's and column form based on logical information.

please guru's help me to understand the concept for this topic

thanks in advance.
Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #473861 is a reply to message #473821] Wed, 01 September 2010 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
It's better to think of a record group as just a query.
If you want to remove values from an LOV then you should alter the record group query so that it doesn't select them.
Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #473886 is a reply to message #473861] Wed, 01 September 2010 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pverma
Thanks for reply, but the thing is that in my requirement i can't do any change in that SQL. i need to work on this LOV and delete old values and insert new values
Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #473887 is a reply to message #473886] Wed, 01 September 2010 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Why on earth not?
That's the simple way to fix it.
Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #473985 is a reply to message #473821] Wed, 01 September 2010 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pverma
i think you are right , now i have to work on tables to delete the old values and insert new values, i have three tables and one table has two foreign keys which is refrencde for other two tables with their primary key.
how can i do deletion in table having foriegn key which can change automettically in master tables.
can i use Merge command or Instead of trigger which will give better result.
my requirement is as follow.
lov has three columns data coming from three tables,
table1- code_num has primary key which is refering code_num in scond table ,and now in second table has another foreign key mis_no which is linked to third table mis_no(primary key) .
now the date which i need to delete is in third table,
i have to use mis_no from second table and try to delete from third table.
please tell me how can i make this work
Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #473987 is a reply to message #473985] Wed, 01 September 2010 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
You're going to have to explain this a lot more clearly.
First you talked about modifying the contents of an LOV without modifying the data in the base tables, now you want to modify the tables. I never suggested that.
I also don't understand what you think merge or instead of triggers have to do with this, or what the relationships are between these three tables.

So:
1) Explain what the three tables are and how they relate to each other - create table statements would probably help.
2) Explain why you want to delete data when previously you just wanted to remove it from an LOV.
3) Explain the logic behind adding and removing data from the LOV.
Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #474246 is a reply to message #473987] Fri, 03 September 2010 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pverma
First of all i will say sorry for creating so much confusion , actually i was also not sure what exactly the reuirement. i suppose to do changes in detail table so that it will automettically change lov. finally today i solved this problem. still would like to say thanks for giving me idea.

now i would like to get some knowledge regaring some basic commands for unix. like how to do complie the fmb on unix enviornment and then how can i find the path for fmx files.

please guru's give me some hints . thanks
Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #474247 is a reply to message #474246] Fri, 03 September 2010 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pverma
i have a table with three columns name,first_name,last_name
and data in four columns are like this
name first_name last_name id
verma,pinki pinki verma 777
verma,raj raj verma 8888
kumar,raj raj kumar 9999
so on
now if i have to find the records depending on first_name and last_name how can i combined the select statement
i try this select statement
select * from names
where names in(select names from names where upper(first_name) in('raj','priya') and upper(last_name) in ('verma','kumar'));
then it display all the records with first_name and last_name like it creating the natural join.
but if i just want to see the reord only for 'verma,pinki' then how can i make change in above select statement.

Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #474266 is a reply to message #474247] Sat, 04 September 2010 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
By querying using the id?
By changing the query to just use those names?

Your description is still very vague.
What decides what names you use to query by?
Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #474284 is a reply to message #474266] Sat, 04 September 2010 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pverma
Hi Actually in my requirements my boss give me list of names then i need to find the id no based on those names so that i can delete those names and in my table name column was confusing me a lot because they have values like verma,priya so how can i put that in where clause like select * from names where name ='verma,priya' then it does not display the record then i search based on first_name and last_name column then it display all the reords based on first_name and last_name its joining.
i will tell you the whole requirements may be it will bring the clear picture.
delete the records from table people_info where names are like
Amy smith, Ross merry, Mike miller like this and these names coming from two columns first_name and last_name now how can i combined the where clause to find particular name based on my list.
hope this will give you better idea for my requiremnet.
sorry for confusions.
Re: RECORD_GROUP [message #474293 is a reply to message #474284] Sat, 04 September 2010 13:14 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
YOu know this would be a lot easier to understand if you actually gave me the create table statements for the tables involved along with sample data.

It sounds like you want to concatenate first_name and last_name together to compare to the other table.
Previous Topic: frm - 92101
Next Topic: Selecting and passing values for a query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 12:54:09 CDT 2024