Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Extremely Weird Error After Upgrading to 10G (Forms 10G, database is 10G)
Extremely Weird Error After Upgrading to 10G [message #500812] Wed, 23 March 2011 12:29 Go to next message
Curious_Programmer
So I have an extremely weird error that I just found after several month of being upgraded to 10g from 6i. Right now I have several data blocks where users input data. The field that they input into is fairly long, so we give them the option to double-click which opens up the editor.

Now, if they do this when entering the field for the first time, everything works great. However, if they save, then decide to go back into the data block and edit the field, they can edit it in the text just fine. However, if they double-click and bring up the text editor, after they click ok (or cancel) it jumps back to the first data block.
What is more weird is I can't get it to happen on my own machine, only when it is running on the unix server. On top of that, I was able to avoid the issue by simply showing a message saying "field is about to be edited" and making them click ok. Of course, it's a work-around, but an annoying one, so if anyone has any ideas of what may be causing this, please feel free to offer any suggestions.

Thank you in advance,
Re: Extremely Weird Error After Upgrading to 10G [message #501192 is a reply to message #500812] Sat, 26 March 2011 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curious_Programmer
Any ideas?
Re: Extremely Weird Error After Upgrading to 10G [message #501193 is a reply to message #501192] Sun, 27 March 2011 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I don't know the cause. Furthermore, I have no idea why would MESSAGE help to fix the issue (but obviously it helps). I understand that this is annoying. Could you try the following: in a trigger (that calls the editor) do something like this:
call the editor;
go_item('block_where_that_filed_is.that_field');
Perhaps it'll do the job (can't guarantee, though).
Re: Extremely Weird Error After Upgrading to 10G [message #501205 is a reply to message #501193] Sun, 27 March 2011 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curious_Programmer
No, it won't do the job unfortunately as that was the first thing I tried. I am assuming it is a bug of somer sort in forms, but I am hoping someone else has encountered this bug and can give me some idea.
Re: Extremely Weird Error After Upgrading to 10G [message #501705 is a reply to message #501205] Wed, 30 March 2011 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curious_Programmer
SO just to update where I am on this. I erased the editor we were using before, and it now jumps to a different data block (even though it still jumps for no reason).

Since I know that showing a message or an alert (or even a bug message works), is there a way to do this but not show it to the user....?
Re: Extremely Weird Error After Upgrading to 10G [message #501740 is a reply to message #501705] Thu, 31 March 2011 00:45 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
To issue an "invisible" message? You could try it by adjusting the :SYSTEM.MESSAGE_LEVEL value, such as
decode
  l_level number;
begin
  -- save previous level value  
  l_level := :system.message_level;

:system.message_level := 25;
  message('Your message');

-- restore
  :system.message_level := l_level;
end;

[Updated on: Thu, 31 March 2011 00:45]

Report message to a moderator