Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Updating a Record through Form (10g)
Updating a Record through Form [message #527172] Sun, 16 October 2011 03:23 Go to next message
shanie
Dear All,

I tried to update a record through oracle form.
Record is updating but instead of one, two records are updated with same data.

First I enter Student ID then It fetches the data from database table. Then I modify the data and click on Update command button.

It gives message i record applied and saved.
But in database two records with identical data is coming.

Update saturn.GZBGSSP set                     
		GZBGSSP_LEVEL = :GZBGSSP_LEVEL,
		GZBGSSP_DEG_PLAN_IND = :GZBGSSP_DEG_PLAN_IND,
		GZBGSSP_DEG_PLAN_DATE = :GZBGSSP_DEG_PLAN_DATE,
		GZBGSSP_COM_EXAM_IND = :GZBGSSP_COM_EXAM_IND, 
		GZBGSSP_COM_EXAM_DATE = :GZBGSSP_COM_EXAM_DATE,
		GZBGSSP_FT_RESD_IND = :GZBGSSP_FT_RESD_IND,
		GZBGSSP_FT_RESD_DATE = :GZBGSSP_FT_RESD_DATE
		Where GZBGSSP_STU_ID = :DUAL.KEY_ID and GZBGSSP_LEVEL = :dual.GZBGSSP_LEVEL; 
Commit;

Please Help!

Thanks & Regards,
Shanie
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #527176 is a reply to message #527172] Sun, 16 October 2011 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ranamirfan

Try to Use Forms default update behaviour.

Regards,
Irfan
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #527178 is a reply to message #527176] Sun, 16 October 2011 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I assume you're using selects to populate the block rather than execute query?
If so then the second record will come from forms inserting the data in the block. If you put data in a database block forms will assume it's a new record and insert it.
As Irfan says - use forms default behaviour - execute query to get the data and save to update.
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #527211 is a reply to message #527178] Mon, 17 October 2011 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baranor
... I think he means he fetches his record, modifies it and then saves, and then he gets two. But I am not sure. Do you do it like that? i.e Execute query - modifiy- commit, and then you have two? If so, you've added extra programming somewhere, either in the forms or as a trigger in the DB, because records normally do not clone themselves.
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #527222 is a reply to message #527211] Mon, 17 October 2011 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ranamirfan

Quote:

If so, you've added extra programming somewhere, either in the forms or as a trigger in the DB

Why didn't you use forms default behaviour.No need to write extra code.
Try it.
Quote:

Execute query to get the data against Student ID and Save to update.

Regards,
Irfan
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #527233 is a reply to message #527222] Mon, 17 October 2011 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baranor
So Irfan, why did you quote me? Seeing that I added a comment and this is not my thread, and the quote you took is actually part of a question I made to the OP?
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #527598 is a reply to message #527176] Wed, 19 October 2011 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shanie
Dear All

Actually I need to update a record for example:
I enter Student ID and Level.Then I retrieve data based on SQL Query in Next Block. It Shows Details of Student.
I want to change in the field with new value then and there and click on save.But It is saving two records.
I remove Update command also.
In key commit Trigger I put only commit_form
By going through Steps Query->Enter Query ->Execute Query->Save
It is time consuming Process.

Please Help me

Thanks & Regards,
Shanie
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #527599 is a reply to message #527598] Wed, 19 October 2011 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
shanie wrote on Wed, 19 October 2011 09:47
By going through Steps Query->Enter Query ->Execute Query->Save
It is time consuming Process.

However it is the correct process.
The reason for your problem is what I said above. Use execute query to get the data and the problem will go away.
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #527601 is a reply to message #527598] Wed, 19 October 2011 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It is not "time consuming", it is the way it works.

If you are traveling from New York to London, you: go out of the apartment - get into a car - drive to the airport - buy a ticket - get into the airplane - fly - get out of the plane - go through the customs services - get out of the airport - drive to London. Is it time consuming? Yes. Can you avoid it? Most probably not.
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528160 is a reply to message #527172] Sat, 22 October 2011 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shanie
Dear All,

Sorry for using phrase 'time consuming'.

I use set_block_property to populate the block.It is coming fine.
But If Level is selected different for same Student.The block is not populating.It is giving error " Query caused no records to be retrieved".

The Scenario is I enter Student ID and Level in One block.
After selecting Level through LOV I go to next block which populates data based on the above condition.(Works fine whose Level is single).
But If Student has Multiple Levels then Data is not populating in the Block.

I write code in When_new_block_instance Trigger
 DECLARE
 tGZBGSSP_STU_ID SATURN.GZBGSSP.GZBGSSP_STU_ID%TYPE; 
 BEGIN
Select  GZBGSSP_STU_ID
INTO 			tGZBGSSP_STU_ID
FROM 			SATURN.GZBGSSP 
WHERE 		GZBGSSP_STU_ID = :DUAL.KEY_ID; 

IF SQL%FOUND THEN
SET_BLOCK_PROPERTY('DUMMY', DEFAULT_WHERE, 'GZBGSSP_STU_ID = ''' || :DUAL.KEY_ID||''''||' and ' || 'GZBGSSP_LEVEL = '''|| :DUAL.GZBGSSP_LEVEL||''' ');
go_block('DUMMY');
EXECUTE_QUERY;
GO_ITEM('GZBGSSP_DEG_PLAN_IND');
END IF;
EXCEPTION 
WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND THEN
go_block('DUMMY');	  						

:DUMMY.KEY_ID := :DUAL.KEY_ID;	  						:DUMMY.GZBGSSP_PIDM := :DUAL.GZBGSSP_PIDM;   							:DUMMY.GZBGSSP_LEVEL := :DUAL.GZBGSSP_LEVEL;
:DUMMY.GZBGSSP_DEG_PLAN_IND := 'Not Submitted';
:DUMMY.GZBGSSP_DEG_PLAN_DATE := '';
:DUMMY.GZBGSSP_COM_EXAM_IND := 'Not Applicable';
:DUMMY.GZBGSSP_COM_EXAM_DATE := '';
:DUMMY.GZBGSSP_FT_RESD_IND := 'Not Applicable';
:DUMMY.GZBGSSP_FT_RESD_DATE := '';

go_item('DUMMY.GZBGSSP_DEG_PLAN_IND');
WHEN OTHERS THEN								MESSAGE(SQLERRM, SQLCODE);
END;

Please Help!

Thanks & Regards,
Shanie
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528178 is a reply to message #528160] Sat, 22 October 2011 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Show us an example of what default where is set to if there's multiple levels.
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528179 is a reply to message #528178] Sat, 22 October 2011 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
If Student has Multiple Levels then Data is not populating in the Block.

Quote:
SELECT GZBGSSP_STU_ID
  INTO tGZBGSSP_STU_ID
  FROM SATURN.GZBGSSP 
  WHERE GZBGSSP_STU_ID = :DUAL.KEY_ID; 

Quote:
WHEN OTHERS THEN MESSAGE(SQLERRM, SQLCODE);

So: when SELECT finds "multiple levels" for a student, TOO-MANY-ROWS is raised. You capture it with WHEN OTHERS which says "don't do anything, just display a message". Besides, the way you used the MESSAGE built-in seems to be invalid (so I wouldn't be surprised if it raises another error), as it requires a message string and user response (and SQLCODE is not really user response). Though, can't test it right now.

The question is: what do you want to do when a student has multiple levels? Pick one? Pick none? Something different?
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528194 is a reply to message #528179] Sat, 22 October 2011 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shanie
Actually When a Student has multiple levels then If I select one level from these then It should populate the block based on this Level along with Student ID other wise It should display the data which I written in When no_data_found exception.
The Problem is When a Student has multiple Levels It is allowing me to go next block after selecting one level.I then can fill and save the block. But for second time when I select same student with different level then It is not allowing me to go to next block giving message "Query caused no records to be retrieved.

I dont understand about this situation.
Please help.

Thanks & Regards,
Shanie
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528205 is a reply to message #528194] Sun, 23 October 2011 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shanie
I solved the Problem.
In Query I missed condition based on Level.
SELECT GZBGSSP_STU_ID
  INTO tGZBGSSP_STU_ID
  FROM SATURN.GZBGSSP 
  WHERE GZBGSSP_STU_ID = :DUAL.KEY_ID  AND GZBGSSP_LEVEL = :DUAL.GZBGSSP; 

Now Its working fine.

There is one little problem

In detail block.I select date through Lov (Calender).After Selecting Date When I click on OK Button. A dialog box is coming with message " Do you want to save changes you have made".
Dont know why It is coming in the middle

Thanks & Regards,
Shanie
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528218 is a reply to message #528205] Sun, 23 October 2011 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
It gives that message whenever you make changes to a database datablock and then do something that'll remove the record you've just changed
(clear_record, clear_block, execute_query etc).
What does the OK button do?
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528220 is a reply to message #528218] Sun, 23 October 2011 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shanie
After Selecting the Date through LOV When I click "ok"
The Dialog Box is coming with Message "Do You want to Save Changes You made" With THREE Buttons "Yes", "No" ,"Cancel" are coming.
When I click on "Yes", then It is saving the record from that point along with the selected Date.
When I click "No" The Date is not coming in from LOV to that field.
When I click "Cancel", the Date is coming in from LOV to that field.

Thanks & Regards,
Shanie
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528245 is a reply to message #528220] Sun, 23 October 2011 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
You mean the OK button on the LOV?
What triggers do you have on the date item?
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528268 is a reply to message #528245] Mon, 24 October 2011 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shanie
Yes ok Button on LOV.
No Triggers on Date Item.

Date is a Text Item. Besides this I place command button which calls LOV when clicks and put the selected date in Date Item after user selects.
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528303 is a reply to message #528268] Mon, 24 October 2011 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Is the button in the same datablock as the date item?
Do you do anything in the form before pressing the button to call the LOV?
Run the form in debug mode and see what triggers fire when you call the LOV.
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528319 is a reply to message #528303] Mon, 24 October 2011 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shanie
Yes Button is in same Data block as Date Item.
I just select one value for one different field and then press LOV to select Date.
I dont have this option of Running in Debug Mode.
As this compiled in Unix Environment.

Thanks & Regards,
Shanie
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528324 is a reply to message #528319] Mon, 24 October 2011 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Then you'll just have to stick messages in every trigger in order to see what is firing.
Re: Updating a Record through Form [message #528413 is a reply to message #528324] Mon, 24 October 2011 14:39 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
shanie
I dont have this option of Running in Debug Mode.

How come? You use Forms 10g, which offers the Debug option.
Previous Topic: auto email sent to user with attachment of PDF report generated by oracle developer (2 threads merge
Next Topic: Set_item_property
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 07:53:12 CDT 2024