Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Oracle Global.<variable name> can't hold 4000 characters? (Forms builder 10.1 , Version 10.1.2.0.2)
Oracle Global.<variable name> can't hold 4000 characters? [message #535372] Tue, 13 December 2011 13:51 Go to next message
michaelv
Hi,
In current form, i use *pll file to pass Global.<variable name> to the form *.fmb
The problem is that if i copy a string of 4000 characters (which i need to) to Global.<variable name>, it will automatically cut a whole chunk to shorter string (less than 1000).

Is there a better way to that Global.<variable name> can hold 4000 characters?

Thanks very much.
Re: Oracle Global.<variable name> can't hold 4000 characters? [message #535392 is a reply to message #535372] Wed, 14 December 2011 00:10 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
A global variable, as far as I can tell, is a character datatype variable and it is capable of holding a string whose length is MAX 255 characters. It means that, if you insist on global variables, you'd have to use quite a few of them (approx. 4000 / 255), separate your string into that many pieces and concatenate them back in the target form.

On the other hand, you might consider using a parameter. Honestly, I never passed that large strings, but Forms Help says that parameter's default value is 30, while its max. size is 64K, so - try it and see what happens.

Finally, you might even use a table - store that value in there from the first form, read it from the second one. You'd need to use certain specifier, an ID which you'd be able to pass from one form to another - it could be a global variable, no problem - so that the second form would know which table value to use.
Previous Topic: How to add Optional Parameters in OLE2 commands
Next Topic: Fetching Value from Dynamic Cursor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 09 16:20:01 CDT 2024