Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » 10g, 6i (Convert 10g form to 6i)
10g, 6i [message #542308] Mon, 06 February 2012 09:10 Go to next message
aaichah
Hello,
I have 2 questions:
1.I have a 10g form and I need to convert it to client server/6i.
What is the best way to do that? The form is very complicated and has lots of graphics and coding.
Someone mentioned converting it to fmt, but i did that and wasn't able to open it with form builder

2.Is it possible to change database block number of record displayed at run time? or 2 different blocks need to be created
with the desired number of records to be displayed?

Thank you
Re: 10g, 6i [message #542340 is a reply to message #542308] Mon, 06 February 2012 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Downgrading a complex form? Whoa, never did that, but ... doesn't look as an easy task. You can't hope to open a simple 10g form with 6i Builder, so - as far as I can tell - you'd rather start writing a brand new form in Builder 6i. By the way, why do you want to do that?

The second requirement: not possible either. Only 2 different blocks? Why only 2, why not 20 (so that you could display a single record block, 2 records block, 3 records block, etc.)? From my point of view, you should explain your users that THIS is the way Oracle Forms work and let them know that they should live with it. What difference does it make if there's (for example) a tabular block with 15 records, and 7 of them are empty. So what? What improvement do they see in a fact that only 8 records are visible? None, really.

Anyway: perhaps you should wait for another opinion instead of listening to mine (far too pessimistic).
Re: 10g, 6i [message #542341 is a reply to message #542340] Mon, 06 February 2012 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aaichah
first question,
we need to use the same form to run on 4 different screens. My manager want to use only 1 pc to run all for. and since with web forms, we can run only one instance, and with client server we can run as many runtime as we want, he asked me to convert them to client server.
second question,
I designed my form to scroll, my block has 31 recorded displayed, and if there are more than 31 records, the records scroll till the end and restart again at the first record. Now the user want to limit the scrolling and shows more records as possible. So now the requirement is to run the same form on 2 different screens, one that fits 62 records, and the other that has the original 31 records(they have some parameters where they can determine what to see in each screen, but it is the same form, but passing different parameters to it)

So you answer is not? we can not programatically change the number of records displayed?
What about the first question?

Re: 10g, 6i [message #542344 is a reply to message #542341] Mon, 06 February 2012 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
The first question: what prevents you to open several web browsers and start the same form over and over again (apart from lack of RAM and stuff)? I do that daily (though, I don't use 4 instances of the same form at a time).

The second question: I see; users want to see as much records as possible without scrolling. Anyway, my answer is still "no" (you can't set number of displayed records dynamically). That would be SET_BLOCK_PROPERTY and one of its properties, but - I don't think that there's any that would do what you are looking for.

However, perhaps you could try to create a "large" form (using a wide canvas) that spreads 2 screen sizes. Then you'd create one block on the content canvas (as it is now), and another one (with 60 records) on a newly created STACKED canvas which would "float" on the right side of the screen (i.e. on another monitor).

What do you think?
Re: 10g, 6i [message #542346 is a reply to message #542344] Mon, 06 February 2012 14:17 Go to previous message
aaichah
This sounds cool, I'll try that. And if it doesn't work, I will just create a second version of the same form and increase the number of records displayed

Thanks for your help
Previous Topic: developer suite 10 g
Next Topic: Report Calling From Parameter Form 6i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 15:10:07 CDT 2024