Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » How to send a message from Oracle to all application users logged in the Forms application?
How to send a message from Oracle to all application users logged in the Forms application? [message #267118] Wed, 12 September 2007 09:15 Go to next message
sateesh.rai
Hi All,

We are using Forms/Reports6i and database oracle9i

Does Oracle provide any message broadcast method to send messages to the Application users which are currently using the Forms application.

For Example: 1 Server and 200 Application Users logged in..I want to send any message in oracle to all of them after they are
logged in the application.

Advance Thanks
sateesh

[EDITED by LF: topics have been merged]

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2007 01:53] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267301 is a reply to message #267118] Thu, 13 September 2007 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
The short answer is that no such capability exists; unless of course it was designed into the existing application.
Re: How to send any message from oracle to all Application Users logged in the Forms application [message #267309 is a reply to message #267118] Thu, 13 September 2007 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
azamkhan
You can do this by using Windows NET SEND utility for sending messages to your desired users.

Regards,
Re: How to send any message from oracle to all Application Users logged in the Forms application [message #267318 is a reply to message #267309] Thu, 13 September 2007 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sateesh.rai
Hi Azam,

How it will be possible because we are using Form6i and Oracle 9i
database.
Suppose we have to send some server maintenance messages to all users so only all application users who are logged in to application must get these messages.No other users.....so if possible some table having all type of messages we want to put on our database.

Thanks for reply....

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2007 01:00]

Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267322 is a reply to message #267301] Thu, 13 September 2007 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sateesh.rai
Hi Anacedent

Can you suggest what type of design needed.

I am thinking to create one table having all type of messages.

Then what will be next step....

because I want to popup those messages when user logged in to the Application.. i.e Forms application

Thank you for reply...
Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267327 is a reply to message #267118] Thu, 13 September 2007 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Has Forms6 been supported this century?
Any Forms6 application should be able to record which clients exist & can "pop" windows upon command.
Therefore it is just a Small Matter Of Programming (SMOP)!
Have at the solution if it is important enough to implement for you.
Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267334 is a reply to message #267327] Thu, 13 September 2007 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sateesh.rai
Hi

Please give me solution if you have.
It is very impotant for me.I have to implement it.

Thank in Advance for this help.
sateesh
Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267408 is a reply to message #267334] Thu, 13 September 2007 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sateesh.rai
Hi Experts

Please give me suggestions or solution.
its very urgent

Thank you
sateesh
Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267412 is a reply to message #267408] Thu, 13 September 2007 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Possible reasons for you not getting an answer:
a) noone of Forum members knows the answer
b) there is a Forum member who knows it, but didn't see your question yet
c) there is a Forum member who knows the answer, but doesn't have enough time to explain it to you
d) ...

Did you read OraFAQ Forum Guide? Do it now! You'd see that everyone here is a volunteer and doesn't spend his/her day just to answer questions on the Forum. Answers here are free of charge, so please - be patient.

If solution to your problem is that urgent, call Oracle Support or hire a consultant, pay his/her fee and you'll get it.
Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267438 is a reply to message #267412] Thu, 13 September 2007 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sateesh.rai
Sorry Littlefoot

I am very sorry for asking question in such urgent way.

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2007 05:10]

Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267510 is a reply to message #267438] Thu, 13 September 2007 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sateesh.rai
Can anyone help me out..

Thanks
sateesh
Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267615 is a reply to message #267510] Thu, 13 September 2007 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Write the message to a 'message' record/table. Have a library routine that is called by EVERY trigger which compares the contents of a global to the contents of the message line that exists in this message record/table. If they are different then pop an alert on the screen. If they are the same do nothing.

It will be someone's task to remove the message when it is no longer required.

David
Re: How to send any message from oracle back end to all Application Users logged in the application [message #267680 is a reply to message #267615] Fri, 14 September 2007 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sateesh.rai
Thank you David for your Suggestions....
More suggestion invited..We have to think
which will be best suited for application.
Re: How to send a message from Oracle to all application users logged in the Forms application? [message #267683 is a reply to message #267118] Fri, 14 September 2007 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bahubcd
Hi,
I have an idea. Not sure whether it will help you or no.

I am assuming that all the users are accessing the same application through a single link.

As far as i know when a user logs to a forms application, the link or url will mention the primary form's name which will be the form after you log in. From that form you can navigate to all the other forms. This is as per my knowledge in my working area Oracle Retail package(Retek).

So what i suggest is, create a admin table which has MSG_ID,Date_Time,MESSAGE as 3 columns. And DBA can enter the message row in this table through PL/SQL or via another form.

Now edit the Primary form (discussed above)
Create a timer with your interest of time period. Write a trigger on form level. When timer expired. In that trigger try and query the data from the admin table with the present time as input. If the query returns any row then display the message column in that row as emessage('your message from the 3rd column of the table'). I think it will pop up even if you are navigating working on some other child form. And again reset/restart the timer.

In the maintenance activities when DBA wants the users to log off from the application, these kind of messages will be v.useful to inform users to save data and exit within 10 mins as the application or db is getting rebooted.

But it will be an overhead on forms server to keep an eye on the timer.

Please inform about your progress if you feel this method can be feasible. I still think that you have to work on where abouts of the timer and its use.
Re: How to send a message from Oracle to all application users logged in the Forms application? [message #267738 is a reply to message #267683] Fri, 14 September 2007 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sateesh.rai
Hi bahubcd,

Thank you for such great idea...

Thanks

[Updated on: Fri, 14 September 2007 08:55]

Re: How to send a message from Oracle to all application users logged in the Forms application? [message #268207 is a reply to message #267683] Tue, 18 September 2007 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I believe that this assumes that ALL calls from the primary form are by 'open_form' not 'call_form' or 'new_form'.

Also I think that the alert will not appear in front of a subordinate form that is sitting over the primary form but 'between' the primary form and the subordinate form. The user may or may not get an audible warning. You will need to test this.

David
Re: How to send a message from Oracle to all application users logged in the Forms application? [message #500359 is a reply to message #268207] Sun, 20 March 2011 00:20 Go to previous message
ashrafrizk
i think you could find the solution by using package dbms_pipe

regards

Ashraf
Previous Topic: using jfreechart with oracle forms 11g
Next Topic: Calculation Total in Application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 05:10:22 CDT 2024